CPS Energy: Leading The Way To A Sustainable Future

Main Article Content

Steven S. Ferrell
Ryan Lunsford


Energy Company, Utility, City-Owned, Publicly-Operated


As the production and distribution costs of energy continue to rise, end-consumers are increasingly realizing the impact on their pocketbook. Moreover, with these climbing monthly utility bills, the natural monopoly structure of the energy industry deserves examination to determine best-practices. The vast majority, a full 69% of utility companies in the United States are structured in the form of an investor-owned utility. The remaining 31% of energy companies are publicly-owned, either as cooperatives or as publicly-owned utilities accountable to the cities and municipalities that own them. This case study presents CPS Energy, the Nation’s largest city-owned and publicly-operated energy company, which serves the Country’s seventh largest City. CPS has provided natural gas and electric service for more than a half century to the 1.5 million Texans who call the Alamo City home. With its impressive record of reliability, customer service, financial integrity, renewable energy policies, progressive environmental policies, community relations, and, perhaps, most important to consumers, low rates, CPS is the model of what a sustainable, 21st Century energy company can be.


Download data is not yet available.
Abstract 256 | PDF Downloads 472